Sunday 5 May 2013

Designer Brunch - Moobaacluck

Morning! I hope you are all having a wonderful bank holiday weekend and that you all have had time to enjoy some of this gorgeous sunshine.  I spent most of yesterday having a big clean and tidy in the house but hope to get outside today, a pot of tea in the garden whilst spending an hour reading magazines is definitely on my list of priorities this afternoon.  Today I am thrilled to welcome my guest for this weeks Designer Brunch as she is a very dear friend of mine.  So please give a very warm welcome to Gabs of Moobaacluck and Gabriella Buckingham.


Armed with a paintbrush, listening to the radio, Gabs works happily from her garden studio in North Norfolk.  After working as a freelance children's book and greetings card illustrator for several years whilst living in London, she moved to North Norfolk with her young family.  Whilst being a full time mummy Gabs started turning her thoughts back to painting and soon found a local supplier to cut the various wooden shapes she wanted for her designs.  So Moobaacluck was launched and soon her candy coloured designs became very popular with buyers visiting Not On The High Street.  Aswell as hand painted wooden signs, Gabs also designs greeting cards and party invites for her Moobaacluck website and over the past few months has added other greeting card and giftwrap designs to her Etsy store, under her own name.  Alongside these in her Gabriella Buckingham store she also sells beautiful artwork, which is often how her designs begin.


Whilst time eludes us to meet up for lunch and a good ol' catch up, I am very happy that Gabs has joined me here today for this post and I shall now let her share her Sunday morning with you all.

Best drink to start the day? 
Definitely a huge cup of green tea. And then another.

Croissants or full English? 
Love croissants  and full English - can I have both? I rarely have either! We always have croissants in our family when one of us has a birthday. Usually it's some sort of oat based cereal for me and maybe some buttered toast with chunky marmalade.

Sunday papers or favourite magazines?
Sunday papers but these days don't often have time to spend reading it. Like a lot of people I suspect. I used to be a real magazine reader and now I treat myself to one or two occasionally my current favourite being Country Homes and Interiors. It's wonderful to see fellow designers homes featured there, especially when I know them personally. If I get to grips with this house and garden I hope one day that will be me! Another good source of magazines that I actually want to read is my library. If I am lucky I will find Country Living there, Vogue, and Norfolk Magazine.


Favourite blogs to read at the weekend?
This is a tough one as I don't have regular reads, I'm sporadic due to lack of time. I really like dipping into friends blogs, like http://www.dotsandspotsdesign.blogspot.co.uk/ and http://mrsbobobun.blogspot.co.uk/ written by Lisa Smith Clare who is a crafter and teacher and also organises a makers fair in Holt that I've taken part in. I really enjoy artists blogs too for example Celia Hart's http://purplepoddedpeas.blogspot.co.uk/. I love blogs that are supportive and educational for self employed designers too such as UK based http://noisetteacademy.com/blog/ by Isa Maria Seminega and US based http://Smartcreativewomen.com by Moncia Lee. Both great and very different from each other.

Sunday morning playlist - 3 songs for Sunday brunch?
I am incredibly lazy where music is concerned, I just put the radio on and tune into whatever I like the sound of and leave it on! I never just sit and listen to music. Or my husband will blast out something eccentric, if we haven't gone out. Later I love to listen to the food programme on Radio 4 with Sheila Dillon or Mornington Crescent - whatever happens to be on while I am cooking lunch.

Favourite local shop or market for weekend shopping?
Norwich generally is very good for shopping, there's a gorgeous artist collective called Veranda full of arty stationery, beautiful knitwear and ceramics on Upper St. Giles Street. The sad thing is that a few of the lovely shops there have closed recently; it's a little off the beaten track. I hope very much they manage to survive. Local to where I live in North Norfolk there seem to be an abundance of charity shops, although I have found some great things in them. One being my large old 1950s style suitcase that I've just filled with Autumn/Winter clothes that I am determined not to wear anymore as we should be experiencing Spring!! 

To view more the designs available from Moobaacluck and Gabriella Buckingham please visit -

Thank you so much Gabs for sharing your Sunday with us and I hope you are getting to enjoy the gorgeous sunshine today,  There are some fab blog choices there and Country Homes and Interiors is in my top five magazine list.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend,
Zoe
x


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts about topics and ideas in my posts, so thank you for taking the time to write a reply.